Annaghmakerrig Estate was home to the Moorhead, Power, and Guthrie families before becoming a place that offers peace, solitude, collegiality, workspace, and home comfort to artists and 'other such people.'
Sir William Tyrone Guthrie, or Tony as he was affectionately known, was born on July 2nd, 1900 in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England. His mother was Norah, the daughter of Martha Moorhead of Annaghmakerrig House and Sir William James Tyrone Power, who was Commissary-General-in-Chief of the British Army. He was also the eldest son of the 19th century celebrated actor, Tyrone Power. His father was Dr Thomas Guthrie, from a family of strict Scottish Presbyterians whose grandfather was the Rev Thomas Guthrie D.D., founder of the ‘Ragged Schools’, and one of the most popular preachers of his day in Scotland.
William and Norah Guthrie had two children, Tony and Susan Margaret (usually known as Peggy). Margaret was educated at home, and later studied art at the Regent Street Polytechnic, London. In 1930 she married Hubert Butler, Tony’s close friend, an Anglo-Irish essayist. She was actively involved in promoting the arts and was a founder member of Kilkenny Arts Week. Tony later married Margaret's best friend Judith (Judy) Bretherton. The marriage took place in the nearby church at Aghabog. Norah Guthrie died in 1956 following a stroke. She bequeathed Annaghmakerrig House and lands to her son Tony who made it his home. He, in turn, bequeathed it to the Irish State for the use of artists and 'other such people.'